Last week I blogged about our Plays unit and how much learning I felt had been achieved through this small group unit of work. This week we finished another mammoth task, our Picture Book Study. Now Writing, editing and producing a picture book as a project task in Year 6 is not a particularly new idea. I remember my own daughter completing this and presenting the one copy of the book she made to her kindergarten buddy, many years ago. The difference this time was in my students integration of technology, including on-line publishing.
To complete this unit, they have completed the following:
- Researched, read, analysed and discussed what makes a good picture book.
- Listened to Sarah Foster from Walker books explain what she looks for when commissioning a picture book from authors and illustrators.
- Written a draft story, which contained a moral.
- Placed the draft into a storyboard, ensuring double page spreads were used effectively.
- Used Microsoft word to type the words, sometimes using text boxes, different sized fonts, wobbly or enlarged words for effect.
- Edited by self, edited with a peer and then again with me for good measure
- Hand drawn or used Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to create illustrations.
- Created a biography page, a title page and end papers.
- Scanned every page using our photocopier.
- Uploaded each page into Blurb, ensuring they fitted correctly.
- Before finally publishing, ordering and receiving their books.
- Read their books to all grades throughout the school
Although some students chose to go to Officeworks and have their books bound the majority purchased them through Blurb and the results were fabulous. They now have copies of what looks and feels like a real book, either in hardback or paperback.. What a fabulous and lasting memory of their time in year six. Many of them were so good, I would have happily purchased them too.
Next year I plan to teach Adobe skills earlier in the year so that more of them will feel confident to use Photoshop or Illustrator for their illustrations. This Photopeach will show some of the books they created.
Yr 6 Picture Book study on PhotoPeach